Monday, September 17, 2012

Naptime Protectors

Dear Bronx,


Today as we were getting ready for your nap I had to giggle.  We had finished reading and it was time for you to gather up your “loveys.”  At this time your “loveys” include; 2 pacifier bears that you refer to as “Bear-Bear”, 1 Pacifier Pup that you refer to as “Pup-Pup, a small stuffed giraffe, a small brown and blue blankie, a small monkey blankie and a recent attention of “BoBo,” your first Build-a-Bear puppy.  As you struggled to get them all in your small arms for cuddle time, I could not help but smile as you would drop one “lovey” and try so hard to pick it up, only to drop a different “lovey” in it’s place. 

I just sat in the rocking chair and observed your persistence and determination as you continued to drop and pick up the animals.  Finally, you looked back at me with this “Why does this keep happening look.”  I smiled, and you began walking towards me.  I thought you had given up and you were going to leave the “Bear-Bear” you had dropped on the ground, but instead you handed me “Pup-Pup” and ran back over to rescue “Bear-Bear.”  My heart melted for the love you displayed for your “Bear-Bear.”

There have been many times that I have asked myself, is it really necessary each time you would add something to your “lovey” pile?  Even wondering if I should remove some of them.  But I began to think about why you have these “loveys.”  Why are they so special to you?

They are your friends, the ones you feel safe with.  The ones that protect you, when Mommy and Daddy aren’t around.  The ones that reassure you, that you are “okay” when the lights go off at night.  How could I ever take that away from you?  And more importantly how can I always ensure you have these protectors in your life? 

I don’t mean you have to carry a stuffed animal or blankie with you wherever you go.  Instead, I want you to seek out protectors for the rest of your life.  People that will build you up and not tear you down, people who will believe in your dreams and cheer you on along the way, people that will encourage you to keep trying even if it seems like it may be impossible.  People that will make you feel safe and loved when Mommy and Daddy aren’t around.

These people will build your character and inspire you.

And in return I want you to strive to be the best protector you can be to your friends.  Stick up for them when someone is being mean, be happy for them when they succeed, help them laugh when all they want to do is cry, and be present when all they need is someone there.

You are so young, but I can already see that God has filled your heart with so much love.  Today you made sure that you had ALL your friends before we snuggled.  There was NO way you would leave one out!  Always go back Bronx and pick up that friend that may fall along the way.  You never know, they may be the friend that will someday come back and pick you up!



I love you Sunshine!!!

Mommy




No comments:

Post a Comment